Friday, April 15, 2016

Green is my favorite color!

Today I grabbed a bunch of greens from 
my wire baskets where I store my fabrics.
I keep most of my fabric upstairs since the flood 
in 2012(?), how soon we forget.
Anyway, I grabbed a handful and went downstairs and
decided to cut the pieces into 
5", 3 1/2 ", 3", 2 1/2", and 2" strips.
The 5" I cut into 5" squares.
The 3 1/2" are to be tumblers.
The 3" are to be for the hexagon quilt.
The  2 1/2" strips will stay as strips to be cut as I need them.
And the 2" strips I cut for the postage stamp quilt I'm 
working on now. The remainder of those 2" strips will go
into the box of 2" strips.
What a day! Ironing and cutting and sorting!

You can see some of the greens in the background here 
and the baskets where I keep the 2" squares. The other basket holds
2" squares I've sewn into pairs. 
Right now I'm making a panel of six squares by about 51(?) squares long.
I am probably going to do 8 squares from now on, maybe it'll move along
a little faster!!!!



These are some of the tumblers I've cut today,
like I've said, mostly greens. 
I eventually want to make a charm tumbler.
That is one where no fabric is in the quilt twice.
I would love to go back to the shop in Lancaster, Pa.
 that had all the fat quarters for sale! Then I'd have a lot to
choose from! The quilt shops around here don't do fat quarters
anymore, only half-yards! :(

I did find some fabric from my Grandma Cox, all wrapped up in rolls,
like she used to do with her leftover fabrics. She made shift type dresses
to wear a lot. I think she used the same pattern over and over again, as
I seem to remember her wearing only these shifts.
I bet this fabric is from the late 60's or the early 70's.
Orange and purple! :)
But I like it and can see it as one of her dresses.


You can see it here, first in the bottom row.
The green check next to it is from the 80's.
The gray was used in one of the first quilts I made, and I
gave it to my sister. It was really ugly!!! Still have yards of this gray!
The daisy print in the upper corner I think was a fabric my mom
used to make golf skirts for herself in the late 60's to the late 70's.
I love having history with the fabrics I use in my quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment