Saturday, November 28, 2009

                         Today I was able to work on the pouch for the bride that
I'm designing. I took a piece of white satin and marked
every inch both on the top and the bottom. Then
folded the fabric on that line and stitched a
fold for each mark. I followed the folds with the edge
of the presser foot. The folds were
about 1/4 inch wide. This makes the fabric much smaller
than what you start out with. I didn't measure correctly
and ended up with a piece of fabric smaller than
what I wanted.

Then I decided to stitch a line of stitching folding the rows of folded
fabric all in one direction and the next row in the other
direction, stitching every inch.



What you end up with is a very cool piece of textured fabric that I just
love.



I'm not sure why I have that pink discoloration on my photo,
it may have been my lighting at the sewing table.
Sorry about that.

I then had to figure out how to make the small fabricated piece
of fabric fit my pattern piece. I decided to add a piece of plain
satin to one side. I covered the resulting seam with a piece of
beaded lace that I had in my scrap box.
This is what I ended up with,
a bag that is not lined yet and doesn't have any batting in it. I'm not
sure if I will use batting on the lining or just add the lining to it.

Of course, I shouldn't tell you this but the lace
is covering up a watermark that I made when I
wet the piece to get out the blue marking pen
I used to mark every inch for the folds.
For a first try its not too bad. Now I know that I need
to start out with a larger piece of fabric and I need to plan
where the seams will be going. I also need to not use any
water to get rid of markings. I think I better go to JoAnn's and
buy some more satin, and lace!


No comments:

Post a Comment