Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Busy making pouches!

Pouches, pouches, pouches!
I started making pouches a few years ago when they were all
the rage on blogs and on Flickr! I started by making the pouch made
from yellow plastic measuring tapes. It was quite trial and error! Mostly error!



They are not very well made but making them taught me a lot.
I learned to have several backup needles ready and waiting. I also learned to have lots of measuring tapes ready to be cut up. I'm sure the manager of the sewing dept. at Walmart was wondering why all her measuring tapes were disappearing so quickly! :) It was also a quick lesson on how hard it is to hand sew on such a non-flexible medium. I think I stabbed myself with the pins and needle a hundred times!
(Not really, just felt like it!)


Anyway, I gave one to my mom and kept the others to use in
my scrapbooking bag.

Now I have graduated to making pouches for makeup, coins, crayons
or anything you want.
I made a bag for the 3 year old grandson of a friend of mine, one to hold crayons and
the other to hold some of his many Matchbox type cars.

 
 Now she says she just has to teach him to put his
stuff in the pouch instead of all over the floor.
I love using bright and happy linings for these bags.


The latest bag I'm working on is a pouch for the daughter of a co-worker,
she asked for a red and blue pouch. 



I found this small print in my stash, wishing I had lots more of it. It had been hiding for quite awhile in there waiting for just the right moment to pop out and be used. If I had more I would definitely use it in my baby quilts and some of the patriotic projects I have planned.

The next pouch I'm trying to design is for another co-worker. She has asked
me to make one for a bride, to keep all the little things a bride might need on the day of the wedding. Such as needle and thread, nail polish, safety pins,etc.



Not a good photo but this satin is what I already have in my stash. I also had this 10 inch remnant of trim. Lots of pleats and double stitching are some of my ideas, along with some hand sewn pearl beading. I also need to get to JoAnn's to see if they still carry some blue satin I can use as a lining.
I can't wait to get to work on it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment