Friday, September 17, 2010

Paper piecing a scrap quilt


I have a huge tub of scrap pieces of fabric that I've been saving for awhile. I even save some
pieces as big as 1 inch square! I decided that since I was tired of
 pink (from making all the pink baby quilt tops) that I needed to work with all different colors. So I pulled out the tub, put it by the sewing table and cut some paper into strips. I used varying widths but cut them 8 inches long. Then I used the sew and flip method of stitching the fabric to the paper.
I paper pieced three strips of scraps, then stitched them together and cut to 8 1/2 inch square.


I used some fabric from my mom, my daughter and both my grandmothers.
The red and blue flower print in the center strip above is from my mom.
I'm pretty sure the green and gray flower print in the bottom of this
 block is from my Grandma Cox.
The pink flower print in this photo is my daughters
graduation dress that I made for her.

The orange blue green check in this block is from one of my Grandma Becker's
house dresses she always wore, 
I stitched them  in rows with 2 1/2 inch strips of black with white pin dots.

Tomorrow I will stitch the rest of the sashing to the blocks. I like the
 way the black pin dot makes the blocks appear to "float". Right now I'm planning to add 5 inch borders to make this a quilt long enough to snuggle with in my chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment